I cut these pieces down to size from a found wooden drawer.
Tools used: Jigsaw, ruler, sandpaper (60 grit and 100 grit)
The next set of steps:
Mark hole sizes and locations on the wood pieces
Take the cut pieces to a bandsaw for a touch up
Drill holes using a drill press
Clean and sand wood pieces
Assemble the pieces, house the circuit, and mount the components
YANTRA: Work in Progress process book.
Screenshots of progress made on Bearcat patch v0.8 featuring a new presentation mode for non-programmer eyes.
**Currently this patch version (v0.8) is incomplete**
• I’ve started to work on the Bearcat patch some more by putting together a presentation mode that is to be simple and readable. The presentation mode removes the clutter of the visual programming language and forms the patch into a concise software instrument.
• I am expecting for the new components that I ordered to arrive sometime soon. These components are mostly replacement parts incase something breaks off or stops working.
• I did a reiteration of my blurb book, gearing it more towards the guidelines provided in the Senior Studio syllabus. When I read through the first draft and it seemed to be incomplete. Since the first draft I’ve added larger photos, repositioned screenshots and established individual sections of the book.
This past week I have been speaking with John Vaders is a musician I used to know from my experience playing in shows several years ago. John and I lost contact when my band stopped playing shows in 2006. We were reacquainted by chance in the halls of Terra where I found out he is a new student at UArts. I brought John into the studio and let him play with the Bearcat prototype. He was completely thrilled by the experience with Bearcat and was expressing deep interest in my senior thesis. He has offered to spread the word about Yantra and the project idea to a large network of local Philadelphia musicians that he is integrated with. Most recently John has spoken with an musician from Fishtown who has expressed interest in collaborating with me and is to contact me in the very near future.
• This week I spoke with Mike McAllister (Professor in ID), Kevin Greenland (Shop Monitor in ID) about being able to use the ID shop for the remainder of this semester and the next semester. I was told that it should not be a problem because I am a familiar figure on their floor. I am going to double-check with Will from ID the moment I can catch him for a conversation.
• I searched for and found a decent piece of wood that I am going to cut down to size and shape into the instrument. I might gather another piece of wood for backup to prepare for any potential mistakes on the first piece of wood.
• I ordered some electronic components and materials online for the making of the Bearcat instrument: audio cables/connectors, alternative sets of momentary button switches, alternative flick switches, and more.
• I spent a few hours practicing on the drill press and bandsaw to prepare myself for using these machines when I go to cut the wood pieces for Bearcat.
Bearcat MaxMSP patch v0.7.5:
• I was unsure of how to improve the audio sample loading/buffering system so that a user would not have to navigate through filepaths and system menus
• I went back to the built-in Max tutorials to search for a way to form a solution and I found it: Drag & Drop
• the individual sample loaders (buffer~ read buttons) have been replaced by an efficient drag and drop system for faster file loading or swapping
• the code has been re-colored to clearly present linkages between objects
• we are thinking about forming a reiteration of this patch in which audio samples can be preset and automatically loaded into place when the patch is started— this would be useful for predetermined sound sets that need to be loaded on the spot without the need for setup
Bearcat MaxMSP patch v0.7
I repaired errors I made in Bearcat patch v0.6.4:
• ‘buffers’ are properly linked to all of their respective ‘set’ buttons
• On/Off switches in the code are linked to ‘loop’ and ‘loopinterp’ so they are activated transitively through the ‘System On’ button instead of manually
• The left photocell is now mapped to sample speed rather than the other modifier to effectively achieve better control of droning effects.
* Now one physical switch is not being used due to the linking of ‘loop’ and ‘loopinterp’ to the main On/Off switch. I foresee potentially using this remaining switch to activate/deactivate a small light system for using the instrument in very low light conditions.
New Bearcat component additions:
• Two sets of four buttons installed
• Knobs installed on the four potentiometers
High quality photo documentation of Bearcat — now cut down to size!